Morgan Three Wheelers
The very first Morgan, designed by H.F.S. (Harry) Morgan, was a tiller steered, light weight three-wheeler, equipped with a two-cylinder Peugeot engine.
The trike showed potential and about a year after finishing the original prototype in 1909, the Morgan was exhibited at the Cyclecar Show at Olympia in 1910. There were two versions, fitted with either a JAP single cylinder (4hp) or V-twin engine (8hp) respectively. Interest there certainly was in Harry Morgan's product. However, resultant sales were low, as the use of a single seater was limited.
After a two-seater version was shown a year later at the same exhibition, sales took off!
Morgan gained fame by doing well in various forms of competion. Very popular in those early days were trials.
These were tough tests, proving the reliability of the vehicle. Morgan won numerous awards.
The picture right shows that HFS' strategy was a good one: proving the reliability of his own products in one of the major trials.
The immense popularity of these events at that time is demonstrated by the quantity of spectators visible in the picture.
Nowadays only real enthusiasts participate in and watch these events.
Other fields of competition in which Morgan three-wheelers did well were record breaking (longest distance in a class in a certain time) and long distance racing.
An exponent of that was the Cyclecar Grand Prix in 1913 in Amiens, France, won by W.G. McMinnies.
It led eventually to the Morgans being produced under licence in France, by the Darmont brothers.